We all know that foods like garlic and tuna fish can make your breath stink. But did you know that there are certain foods that can act as a natural breath freshener? We researched different foods that can freshen your breath and included the 5 best foods that will help with bad breath on this list.
- Fresh herbs like basil and parsley. Have you ever noticed a sprig of garlic or basil garnishing your plate? It’s not just there as a decoration. Both of these herbs can work as natural breath fresheners. After you eat a big meal full of foods like garlic and onions that are known to cause bad breath, chewing on basil or parsley can make your mouth feel fresh again.’
- Water. Admittedly, water is more than a drink than a food, but did you know that one of the most common causes of halitosis is dry mouth? Water is the healthiest, most effective way to fight bad breath due to a dry mouth. Carry a water bottle around with you, and sip it throughout the day, before your mouth gets dry.
- Probiotic yogurt. Studies have shown that eating six ounces of unsweetened, plain probiotic yogurt can help fight something called hydrogen sulfide, which can cause bad breath if there’s too much of it in your mouth.
- Foods with polyphenols. Foods like apple, spinach, and even black tea contain polyphenols, which will give you natural fresh breath. They fight bacteria in your mouth that cause halitosis.
- Foods that can remove the smell of methyl mercaptan. Methyl mercaptan is a foul smelling gas that is released in your mouth as you begin to digest your food. Both cherries and lettuce can fight this smell when you eat them
Although food is just a temporary solution to bad breath, combine it with good oral hygiene and people will stop to smell your breath instead of the roses. If it still persists, call your doctor. Maybe it’s something other than the onions you had a lunch.